Thompsons Family Funerals Castlemaine - About Us
John Robertson Thomson first started directing funerals at the end of World War I, After his return from active service in 1918, he took employment with T. Odgers & Co, who at that time were Cabinet Makers and Undertakers. In 1950 John found that the Castlemaine area had a need for new and modern ideas. John decided to open his own premises at 12 Mostyn St, The 1st Thompson Funeral Parlor in Castlemaine.
Edwin James Thompson and His Wife Patsy Delmenico took over the business in 1967 when it was time for John and his wife, Annie Adele to retire.Edwin and Patsy were born and bred locals. Edwin's anscestors settled at Captains Gully, south west of Newstead in the 1850's. Patsy is a Guildford Born Delmenico, Known for their Bullboars and vino (wine).
Edwin and Patsy also decided that Funeral directing in castlemaine needed a new face so, in 1980 they opened their new Chapel at 123 Mostyn St, Castlemaine. After moving into the new spacious parlor, built and designed by Edwin, the Thompson family were able to purchase the Trades Hall (next door) which has proven to be very handy for after funeral catering.
Edwin and Patsy’s son Peter has always had a keen interest in following his parents footsteps and entered the business in 1980's after his schooling here in Castlemaine. Since Edwin passed away in 1992, Peter has managed the Family business here in Castlemaine along with his Mother Patsy.
We pride ourselves as people who comforting any family at their time of need by helping to celebrate the life of the loved one lost. The funeral industry is constantly changing and it is often changing. We ask all our employees to encorage an individual celebration in life as it is a personal choice of respect and coping with the individual family needs when a family loses a loved one.
Over many years have had a very important role in our community and it is one they place much pride in and will continue for many years to come.